Accessibility Statement for Burrell Collection
For the Burrell Collection
This website is run by Glasgow Life. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Zoom in up to 200% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Some images may be missing alt text
- Some videos may be missing audio captioning or descriptions
- Some older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- Some links may be ambiguous
What to do if you cannot access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll consider your request and get back to you.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact:
- email email@example.com
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Glasgow Life is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The areas listed below are non-accessible for the following reasons:
- Some videos do not include captions. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.1 (non-text content).
- Some videos do not include audio description. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.5 (non-text content).
- Some links are ambiguous and do not clearly indicate their purpose, so people using a screen reader may experience confusion or disorientation. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.4.4 (Link Purpose (In Context)).
- Some images do not have alt text. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.1 (non-text content).
PDFs and other documents
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards - for example, they may not be structured so they’re not accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
We are working on our web content and web contributors will be asked to ensure PDFs or Word documents meet accessibility standards.
Some pre-recorded videos don’t have audio captioning or descriptions, so the information in them isn’t available to people who cannot see or hear the video content. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.5.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix pre-recorded videos published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
When we publish new content, we’ll make sure our use of video meets accessibility standards.
How we tested this website
This website was last tested on 24 August 2021. The test was carried out by Storm ID. We tested the following areas of the site:
- the main website platform, available at https://www.burrellcollection.com
- A sample of all page types including:
- Home page
- The Burrell Project
- Collection Highlights
- Coming Soon
- Plan your visit
- About us
- Contact us
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We are always open to suggestions, additions or the reporting of accessibility problems. Users can use the contact details supplied above.
- We are working through the site to add text alternatives for all images
- We are reviewing content to remove ambiguous links
- We are reviewing the accessibility of videos
This statement was prepared on 24 August 2021. It was last updated on 24 August 2021.